Did you know that a new word has been added to the dictionary? The word is mompreneur, what is a mompreneur? Well according to http://www.wisegeek.com, “A mompreneur is a newly coined term for women who establish businesses at home or while transitioning from the workplace while also acting as the full time parent of their children. The mompreneur movement is one steadily growing in the US as mothers try to find ways to make money, express their creativity or business acumen, and also to parent their children. Precise figures are difficult to find regarding exactly how many mompreneurs make up the current business world, but there are some statistics regarding the growth of home-based businesses”.
Let’s face the fact as working mothers we all have too much on our plates and here the big secret we can’t get rid of any of the really important stuff. You know what I’m talking about… the kids, the husband, the dos, the job, the laundry, the housework, the homework, the clients, the deadlines, the bills, and LIFE. How many of you have read the books that tell to put yourself first? I have. The problem the books I have read they tell you to find your SELF WORTH and put yourself first. OK….. What about your children, husband and what about your job? I close the cover thinking, “what world do you live in?” Speaking of which, I just finished one of those books and in complete frustration and another $24.99 investment I have decided to write my own 5 top tips for the Entrepreneur Mom.
What make me an Entrepreneur Mom? I work full time for a full time non-profit organization, I owner Cooking in the Burbs and ShaunaEpting.com and I am the mother of 2 very busy children. I do not have a maid, a nanny nor do my children attend childcare. After working in childcare for over 10 years I cannot bring myself to subject my children to herding of children for money. I am sorry if that statement offends anyone. So with that said I choose to further task my schedule by being a full-time working mother/homemaker, I think that is a contradiction in terms. Here are my top tips.
1. Prioritize, you may think you know what the means of this word is, but I really feel the need to provide a definition here: arrange according to priority. The kids must be picked up from school at a certain time, so you better be there. Unless you want CPS knocking on your door.Pick the meetings and the networking functions that will be most beneficial to your business to attend, do not try to go to everything you receive an invitation to because you will just burn yourself out.
2. Use a good calendar system- I love electronic calendars that sync with my outlook and blackberry. I enter everything in my outlook and then sync it daily, this is the first thing I do before I go to bed at night. Why, at night? Because I may have added something to my calendar during the day that I need to do the next day. I don’t know about you, but in my house with getting the kids up and out for school, the dog out and settled for the day and husband going on his way that last thing I have time to do at 6:30 am is sync my calendar. This leads to my bonus tip – Learn how to use your operating system. I use Outlook. I love Outlook and the task function has saved my life.
3. Do not touch a piece of paper more than necessary. Throw it away, log it in your outlook, file it in your filing system, or get rid of it. Paper is clutter and clutter makes you feel unorganized. When your fell unorganized you act unorganized. So short and sweet—- GET RID OF THE TRASH!!!
4. Keep a purse size notebook with you at all times. At night I bring it to bed with me and place on the night stand in case I get an idea or I forget to put something on my to-do list for the next days.
5. Ask for help when you need it. Ok I know what you’re thinking I am not going to get it so why ask? I still say ….. still ask. If you keep asking maybe you will get someone to step up and help you. If not you know what to add to you priority list as soon as money permits. Hire someone to HELP YOU!